Family Promise North Shore Boston’s regular volunteer program is currently suspended due to COVID-19.
Below are some of the ways that dedicated volunteers have made a lasting impact in the lives of families experiencing homelessness. Please stay tuned for new or adapted volunteer opportunities as our shelter program evolves in response to our current context.
Please note that all volunteers who will be engaging directly with families in our programs will need to complete a background check through FPNSB (within 3 years) and volunteer orientation/training once our volunteer program resumes.
Host Site Volunteers
Volunteers from host sites and support congregations provide hospitality to guest families throughout their week’s stay. These volunteer activities include:
- Cooking and hosting dinner
- Spending the evening with families, visiting, helping with homework or playing with the children
- Planning special activities
- Sleeping overnight at the host congregation
- Donating needed supplies for the host congregation
- Setting up and taking down the guest families’ rooms
Committed volunteers offer a consistent and supportive presence to our guests at the Family Promise Day Center, particularly on the weekends. Office Angel volunteer shifts are only 2 hours long and may include activities such as:
- Staffing our day center on the weekends
- Playing games or reading to the children, as requested
- Tutoring children or helping with homework, as requested
- Helping to prepare for new families to enter the program
- Performing data entry
- Advocating for job and housing opportunities